Sunday, November 2, 2014

How to Cure Face Demons A.K.A. Acne?


My journey with acne started when I was 9 years old. For decades, I suffered the misfortune of having an acne-prone skin. through the years, I tried every possible acne solution available on the market. Nothing worked and acne came back again even stronger. 


My Birthday: A New Beginning 

I decided on my birthday in April this year, to cure my skin and find the root cause of my skin demons. I did three things differently this time to treat my acne:

1- Food Allergy Blood Test: I took a blood test to see if my body is allergic to 99 types of common food. The food allergies are considered a main cause of acne
2- Makeup and Brushes: I changed my makeup products and bought new products without Parabens. I also, made sure that my makeup brushes are clean all the time
3- Organic Skin Care: I through out all my skin products and bought products with organic ingredients and 2% salicylic acid.  

In my first blog, I will talk about my skin care routine starting with the first steps I took and my current day to day skin care routine. Please note that I use makeup everyday. 

First steps to treat acne


Bioderma Sensibio H2O 

It has been my go to face and eye makeup cleanser for over 6 years. It is designed for sensitive skin. I soak a cotton pad with it then wipe my makeup. I start removing my eye makeup first then my face. It takes everything off. Trust Me!! 

It costs $18-$22 for a 250 ml
You can find it in Shoppers Drug Mart stores Shoppers Drug Mart
You can also buy it online at  Murale




          Alba Botanica Acne Dote Deep Pore Wash 

Then, I wet my face and massage a small amount over my face avoiding the eyes area. I use it twice a day if necessary, after I wake up and before I sleep, but mainly after I remove my makeup. If I have a cluster of blemishes, I use it on that cluster area 3 times a day. It tends to dry the skin if you don't use a moisturizer after it. It is a 100% vegetarian and made with organically derived ingredients with 2% salicylic acid. 


It costs $11 - $14 for a 177 ml
You can find it in Noah Health store Noah Natural Foods
You can buy it online Alba Botanica
        

Alba Botanica Acne Dote Oil Control Lotion

Then, I normally use it as a moisturizer and a face primer before my makeup.  Now, since my skin cleared out, I only use it on blemishes as a spot acne treatment. It has a mattifying effect and drys out strong blemishes. It is a 100% vegetarian and made with organically derived ingredients with 2% salicylic acid. 

It costs $17-$19 for a 57g
You can find it in Noah Health store Noah Natural Foods
You can buy it online Alba Botanica


After about 2 months my skin cleared up and I started using the following products 


Green Beaver Eye Makeup Remover

Green Beaver,a Canadian based company, made the best makeup remover I used in years. Suitable for acne-prone skin and all their products are made with vegan and gluten free ingredients. I didn't find it effective in removing waterproof eye makeup though! You rub it on your face avoiding eye area then remove it with water or a wet cloth. If you use heavy/full coverage makeup, wipe your face with Bioderma Sesibio H2O or use the below product as a second step. 

It costs $17- $18 for 120 ml
You can find it in Noah Health store Noah Natural Foods or Your Good Health 
You can buy it online  Green Beaver


Green Beaver Grapefruit Facial Cleanser 

It gently exfoliates my skin and cleans the left over makeup. Sometimes, I use it by itself to cleanse my face in the morning or at nigh if I don't have makeup, but make sure to avoid the eye area. It smells wonderful. 

It costs $17- $18 for 120 ml
You can find it in Noah store Noah Natural Foods or Your Good Health 
You can buy it online  Green Beaver


Sukin Facial Moisturizer 

Lightweight cream made with organic ingredients and without Paraben. I make sure that I moisturize after cleansing my face although I have a combination and sometimes oily skin. Smells like medicine though, but I got used to it!

 It costs $10 - $12 for 125 ml
You can find it in some Rexall stores Rexall Pharmacy or in Noah Natural Foods
You can find it online at Sukin Organics


I hope this helps in the treatment of your acne. Make sure to clean your skin and wash your hands before you touch your face!! Tell me about your experience and ask me questions :) 

Always remember to share the blog with a person who will benefit from this information #EmpoweringPeople 

You can also find me on Instagram @amanitosa 









No comments:

Post a Comment